Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Input

I think we have all heard the saying, "Garbage in, garbage out" or "gigo" in reference to what we put into our minds. What we feed on is what we become. Even though the saying is negatively phrased, it does have a positive function as well. Anything good we take in, promotes something good coming out of us. This has huge ramifications for us personally, our relationships with others, as well as guidance in raising our children. That is another reason I try to often encourage people to read or listen to the Bible on a regular basis. Goodness knows there is so much negativity in our world. Just try to find a good movie to enjoy wth your family! It seems there is so much negatively themed offerings out there or the alternative is something so inane and silly it is insulting to intelligence.

The actual thought that inspired this installment of my blog was not particularly the "Gigo" principle, but a collary to it: "nothing in, nothing out." I feel this so much as a preacher / pastor. It is a constant demand in my calling to give out. Give knowledge, apply wisdom, present a challenge, give inspiring material to contemplate, etc. Where does all this come from? In case you don't know, I wasn't born with all of my sermons packed away neatly in my head, which would have been a huge advantage and made life a lot easier for me. Where it all comes from is from somewhere else. I have to constantly be feeding my mind with material that God can begin to use in His way, and His will to give me something to share with others.

So it is with all of us, we need input in order to have output. Keep yourself in the Word of God so that input will be positive and useful to others as we have our conversations and encouters with one another. The benefit to us is a better state of mind, the benefit to others is encouragement to a higher life.

Isaiah 26:3 (NKJV)

You will keep him in perfect peace,

Whose mind is stayed on You,

Because he trusts in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be interested to have your comments!