Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Family

JoLynn and I were fortunate to be able to travel out of state last week to be able to attend the graduation of our daughter-in-law, Brittani from Northwest University. It was a grand affair and we had a nice celebration. It was very gratifying for JoLynn and I to see the progress Scott and Brittani have made in their own lives and marriage. They are doing very well and are very happy. JoLynn and I were also able to attend church on Mother's Day with Scott and Brittani. It was a nice plus for JoLynn. Later that day we drove to my sister's home where my brother and his family, as well as my father and mother joined us. It was a great time to visit with everyone and the first time in many years I was able to spend Mother's Day with my mother. JoLynn and I then traveled further to stay at my parents home for a few days.

One of the points I wanted to make with this blog was what we were able to talk about with my parents. On one evening, my brother, sister and I with our spouses were able to meet with my parents and have a converstation about end-of-life issues. To be honest, I was not really looking forward to the meeting fearing it might feel negative or emotional. In reality, it was neither. It felt very positive and we shared some very light hearted moments as well. We were able to talk about long-term care arrangements, what their desires were concerning where they wished to live, power of attorney and who should be given authority to sign checks on their behalf should the need arise. I was also proud of the preparations my parents had made with having a will already prepared, and end-of-life directives.

All in all, it was a very positive time. My parents expressed their appreciation for our desire to be repsonsive to their needs and wishes. It was also a time for us to express our desire that they have the highest quality of life and their wishes honored when they need more care.

For those who may ever read this blog that are in a similar season of life with parents or loved ones that you take the time and have a conversation about their desires concerning long-term care and end-of-life decisions. It will help preserve their dignity and respect their wishes and will also make their passing a less stressful time for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be interested to have your comments!