Thursday, May 7, 2009

Heros v.5

I don't know as a young child if I ever figured there was a difference between the people who were my parents friends and my friends. Even though my parents friends were obviously older than I was I think I always considered them as my friends. Such is the case again with Walt and Eunice Neilsen. Eunice was one of my Sunday School teachers at Fairbanks First Assembly. I don't know how she ever put up with a room full of rascally boys with such patience and grace, but she did. We loved to go over the Neilsen's house as there was always something good to eat or adventure to be had. Walt was always fun because he did so many things a young man admired. He rode snowmoblies with us. He always seemed to drive a Corvette (very cool) and Walt gave me one of the best dogs I ever had, a German Shepherd that I raised from a pup. Through the years I have somehow stayed in touch with Walt and Eunice. I have been a guest in their home many times, we have met up in Hawaii and enjoyed meals together. Having a friendship with Walt and Eunice has enriched my life in a wonderful way. Their Christian testimony, their generosity and the fact that they are just fun to be with has made a great contribution to my life. Being able to reconnect with them from time to time gives me great satisfaction. Because they never considered me too little to be my friend and have been such great examples to me, Walt and Eunice are my heros.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be interested to have your comments!