Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson

As perhaps a billion people (media estimate) will watch the memorial service for Michael Jackson today, I wonder how many of them, Christians included will believe he is in heaven. I have not said a lot about this but I have heard much around town, on the television and in conversations.

First of all, let me say that I am not God, I am not the judge of the living or the dead. However, it is my place to warn all that I can to know that there is a heaven, and there is a hell. Sincere faith in Christ for the forgiveness of our sin is the ONLY way to salvation, everything else does not avail us whatsoever when it comes to salvation. This is what we know for sure because the Bible makes this very clear to us.

Unfortunately, many people assume that God thinks and feels the same way we do. That God makes decisions based upon His like or dislike of things or people the way we do. So, if we happen to like Michael Jackson for some reason, well then God must also and since we like him, he must be eligible for heaven. News flash: it doesn't work that way.

We don't go to heaven by majority rule. We can't gain entrance to heaven by the title, "King of Pop". We don't go to heaven by being a nice person. We will not be granted entrance to heaven by doing good things, selling millions of records or being tolerant of every lifestyle or being "cool".

A lot of people want to take charge of God's heaven and become the one who gives permission to enter or not. Do not be deceived, God isn't giving anyone the right to decide who enters His heaven or not, including me. He alone will be the judge and the one who makes the laws we must abide by to enter. So, if you think I have said that Michael Jackson is going to hell, read this again carefully, I haven't said that. If you ask what I think will happen to him, I might say that most of the external evidence I have seen would lead me to believe that Michael Jackson was not a believer in Jesus as his personal savior. I am not God, I do not get to say if Michael makes it or not, I do not see Michael's heart as God does. Despite all of the visual evidence to the contrary, if Michael knew Jesus as his savior and Lord, then I am sure he will be in heaven. However, if he did not, there is not any amount of talent or popularity that can make up for the most important relationship of all.

God is "... not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9) So, the path to heaven was as open to Michael Jackson as it is to anyone else, just like the rest of mankind, we must choose it. I hope that he did. I am glad I have. I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be interested to have your comments!