Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Memorial Day 2017 - A Ride of 1947 Miles

The Problem of Stuff

Preparation for an adventure, especially a new one, is key to maximizing the enjoyment of the experience.   This adventure will take me and two friends from Kenai, Alaska to Skagway, Alaska to Haines, Alaska (via Alaska Marine Highway) with the the major portion of riding through Canada's Yukon Territory.  It will be close to a 2,000 mile trip for me to be done in 6 days if all goes well.

By nature I am a minimalist, so every thing that I consider taking is considered carefully.   Being a minimalist, I would rather not take any stuff on my trip.  However, I do want certain comforts and contingencies covered.  Being that this particular adventure is on a 2008 Harley-Davidson Ultra Glide kind of forces the issue of limited carrying capacity as there is only so much room on the bike to carry stuff.  Additionally, the factory weight limits on the touring compartments limits you further than you think.  There is a 15 pound limit for each of the "saddle bags" or "panniers" and a 20 pound limit for the "Tour Pack".  10 pounds is the limit for the "luggage rack" mounted on top of the Tour Pack which counts as part of the Tour Pack's weight limit.  When you are required to carry tie-downs for the Alaska Marine Highway portion of the trip, that is about 6 pounds right there.  So, the number of socks, underwear, shirts, and the like are critical.  Since you will most likely need rain gear as you are traveling in Alaska, you have even less allowance for wardrobe.  Some are fortunate to have riding gear that is waterproof, windproof, armored and warm.  Me, not so much.  I carry my leathers and rain gear.  Your daily wear is the stuff you eliminate in order to carry more important stuff.  In theory, you could be riding naked down the road just to accommodate the most necessary stuff.

After much consideration, I choose 3 pairs of socks, three pair of underwear, three shirts and one pair of pants. It's a 6 day trip so each item has to pull double duty.  If I am extra careful and don't get mustard on my pants, they should be OK.  A small bag for toothbrush and such things and my personal gear is maxed.  All of that fits in one saddlebag which comes with a very convenient zippered liner so it all goes in and out very nicely.  The other saddle bag contains emergency gear like flat tire repair kit with an air compressor, a quart of oil, a fuel container, tools, a funnel and my pump for the air adjustable suspension.  Hopefully that compartment never gets opened.  The Tour Pack holds all of the day stuff, my two pair of gloves, a hat, sunglasses, the aforementioned tie-downs, snacks, two bottles of water, my phone, charger, cash, passport, map, a journal and three sets of notes for the sermon I am supposed to preach in Klukwan, Alaska on Sunday.  The luggage rack must hold my sleeping bag in a waterproof bag and my cot in case there is nothing better to sleep on.
I had some work done on the bike earlier in the spring so it has new oil, tire pressure is correct, and all of the maintenance issues are up to date.

Because of the bulk of a couple items, like the cot, sleeping bag and my rain gear, they must be bungeed on the outside of the bike instead of being stowed neatly inside a compartment.  I really wish I could get my stuff down to all fit inside the compartments.  It would only take more money.  Staying at hotels instead of church Sunday School rooms would eliminate the sleeping bag and cot.  It would also allow the elimination of the small towel I have afforded myself in the event I have access to a shower.  More money would also let me buy one waterproof set of riding clothes and eliminate the need for two sets.  Yes, more money is usually the answer to most things.  If a person had enough money, you wouldn't need to bring any stuff.  But, I did mention I was a minimalist.  That applies to money more than stuff.  I attempt to do these things on the cheap.  So that means sleeping in Sunday School classrooms and needing the sleeping bag and cot.

Finding a way to bungee all of the external bulky stuff to the outside of the bike without looking like the Grapes of Wrath or the Beverly Hillbillies flying down the road, is important to me.  It's hard to look the part of "Harley cool" with extra stuff hanging all over your bike.  It is just not the way minimalists like to go down the road.  So trying different ways to fasten the stuff in the most efficient and aesthetic manner takes some time.  Despite all efforts, the stuff ends up looking a bit of Grapes of Wrath because all of your stuff is different colors that don't go with each other or your bike's paint scheme and a bit of Beverly Hillbillies with whatever loose ends that flap in the wind as you sail down the road.  I settle with the reality I will never make the cover of HOG (Harley Owners Group) Magazine.

It is a great relief to finalize the list of stuff you are going to take and get it packed on the bike.  It is all of the agonizing over whether you will regret leaving something behind you wish you had (you will) and bringing something that takes up precious room that you end up not needing at all (I did) that wears you out.  Things one has no control over like the weather in Alaska, if the churches you are staying in (for free) have showers or not and breakdowns like flat tires and such.  If one could know the future and only bring what you want and need and a limitless budget, the trip would be flawless.  Since that will never happen, you try your best and determine that the stuff you have selected will meet your needs and pray for the best.

It is an exciting sight to see your bike all prepped, loaded and ready for the trip you have been planning for months.  I begin to visualize myself flying down the road in multi-color fashion, a minimum of stuff flapping in the wind to my new adventure in fine style.  Now, if only this rain would stop...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be interested to have your comments!