Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Day 8 Part 6 The Wilderness Balcony

The buses head out to the main highway and the diesels strain as they head up the grade.  Since we are at the lowest point on the planet, every direction we could head would be "up".  This is why in the Bible you will always read about people traveling "up" to Jerusalem.  It doesn't matter if you are heading south or north, you always head "up" to Jerusalem because Jerusalem is the high ground.  In Alaska, we always head "down" south to the continental US and "up" to Alaska when we return.  They don't think like we do in the Middle East about latitude, they think in terms of altitude.  So we are heading up to Jerusalem but by a slightly different route.  

Our final destination of the day will the "Dead Sea Balcony".  This is a high vantage point that gives a panoramic view of the Judean Wilderness.  The Judean Wilderness is a seemingly unending series of hills and valleys, rugged in terrain and virtually devoid of any vegetation.  The barrenness is so striking.  
The buses deposit us in a rather forlorn a featureless wide spot on the side of the road.  There is a very rocky path up to a little amphitheater at which we gather for a little lecture.  Off to the side and down a little ways are some of the bedouin we have seen in little camps along the way.  I notice they are moving about excitedly and dashing into their tents.  I know what this means.  We will be hawked for their merchandise soon.  I do not like to deal with hawkers.  

The trail continues past the little amphitheater and we walk some more.  
I don't know if I have ever seen more rocky ground.  There is not a smooth spot anywhere.  The rock is mostly a white limestone with many other varieties of rock mixed in.  We gain a little elevation and round a bend which exposes a magnificent view!  
A little above us the hill tops out and I head up to see even more.  There is a larger rock at the top which like every other rock in Israel lacks a nice place to sit on but I sit anyway and take in the view.  I am connected to the lecture by my little blue receiver.
From this spot we can see clear to Jerusalem and over to Jericho.  There is a deep gorge in front of us which we are told is the "Jericho Road" which runs 85 miles from Jerusalem to Jericho and is the setting for Jesus' story of the good Samaritan.  
One can easily see how easy it would be for thieves to thrive in this area because of the rugged terrain and the narrowness of the valley.  The Jericho Road is also the inspiration of a Southern Gospel song:  "On the Jericho Road, there's room for just two, no more and no less, just Jesus and you...."  

As we sit and listen, the thought comes to me that our tour of Israel is nearing its end.  
The trip has been so much more than we anticipated and I am reluctant for it to end.  Once on this train of thought I begin to think of the tasks that await me when I arrive home.  I quickly put all of that out of my mind and decide to live in the moment.  

The day is moving toward evening.  The air is warm and there is a gentle breeze.  I pick up a piece of limestone that I will take home with me as a reminder of this place and of this day.  

I look back along the path we took to get here.  The hawkers are waiting for us and must sense that we are preparing to leave.  They have have respectfully kept their distance but now they creep closer to the group.  I am higher on top of the hill than most of our group and I can see that I can take a short cut across the top of the hill in a straight line to our buses instead of taking the path back to the amphitheater where more bedouins await to display their wares.  

We walk at a brisk pace as some of the children run toward us and beg us for money with grimy hands and runny noses.  I know if we stop we will be mobbed by children.  We have been warned NOT to interact with the children as many troubles await those who would.  We keep up our brisk pace and the children try other targets.  We eventually make it back to the security of the bus and avoid the very aggressive hawkers that confront many in our group.  I don't feel bad toward these people, they probably want to make a living too, I just don't want any of their things and they don't take "no" for an answer so I just prefer to avoid them when I can.  

The buses fill after a time and as the shadows grow long from the setting sun, we again take the high road for Jerusalem.  We near the city, the unmistakable infamous "wall" appears.  
Soon we will have dinner and head to a comfortable bed.  It has been a long day, lots of stairs, walking and heat. Tomorrow will be less travel time but a really full day.  We will begin with the Israeli National Museum.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be interested to have your comments!