Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Electra Glide



Late last summer I purchased a used 1992 Harley Davidson Electra Glide.  I have ridden motorcycles off and on for some of my life.  Mostly dirt bikes.  I haven't ridden a motorcycle for some time and have been pondering it for a couple of years.  I wanted a street bike this time and I found a great example of one in this Electra Glide.

Something I did not know about motorcycles is that when you ride a motorcycle, you are inducted into an interesting fraternity.  I say fraternity, but there are LOTS of women who belong too.  You instantly belong by virtue of being on the road on a bike.  Every motorcycle rider you pass on the road you give and receive a salute.  Your left hand is extended usually below your handlebars in a subtle wave to the passing rider.  It's kind of cool.  It is an acknowledgement that you are different from the other vehicles on the road, you are comfortable with a little more risk and should you break down, the next rider that comes along will stop and help you.

Motorcycle riders have time to do this as they cannot text or talk on their cell phones as they ride.  They have to actually watch out for all the other vehicles on the road who do.  That is why riders stick together.

Something I also did not know about Harley Davidson motorcycles in particular is that you are further inducted into a large (in numbers, not just the people) loyal and passionate fraternity that goes beyond just the motorcycle fraternity.  You join a network of dealerships, shops, clubs, organized fraternities and passionate riders.  To Harley riders, Harley Davidson is the ONLY motorcycle.

Something I haven't joined is a biker club.  There are two kinds of Harley biker clubs.  The largest of the sort is the Harley Owners Group (HOG).  This is more like a service club like the Rotary Club or Lions, etc.  They do go on rides and do biker sorts of things, but they also do service projects and promote the brand.  You don't have to say any secret oaths or experience any initiation rites to join.  You simply own a Harley and pay your $120 a year.

The other kind of biker club is probably most exemplified by the "Hell's Angels".  These are "patched" clubs.  There are lots of these kinds of clubs.  They can be sinister and menacing appearing or even Christian.  My friend belongs to a chapter of the "Black Sheep" with his Harley.  This step requires a lot more than just belonging and wearing a large "patch" on your leather vest.  There are lots of protocols, rules, "territories", loyalties, etc., etc..  This takes a much deeper level of commitment.  Probably more than I am interested in giving.  These "patched" clubs always demand that you only ride a Harley Davidson motorcycle.  I am unaware of any "patched" clubs that demand you ride any of the aforementioned brands.

One of the features of this kind of biker club is the loyalty issue.  If you are in trouble, break down, need help of any kind, a "brother" in the fraternity will be there to help you.  In my recent trip around the road system here in Alaska, my friend who belongs to the Black Sheep Christian biker club had a flat tire.

He was assisted many times in that trip until he got to a place where their assistance was no longer needed.  We had the help and resources of at times 5 other Black Sheep and sometimes one or two.  It helped immeasurably to get his bike to a place where he could get help.  

The Harley Davidson motorcycle may not be the "best" bike out there, depending upon what you define as "best."  They have in recent years taken huge steps towards providing better reliability, performance and modernizing their power plant.  It's true, earlier bikes did have some shortcomings and complicated machinery.  But Harley Davidson has been building big American bikes continuously for over 100 years. 

Some of what may be seen as shortcomings make Harleys endearing to their owners.  They may not beat Hondas, or Kawasakis off the line and they may look a little archaic next to those crotch rockets doing wheelies on the freeway.  But those big throbbing V-Twins have an amazing sound and all the aforementioned brands?  Who copies and tries to look like who?  Harley Davidson isn't trying to look like a Suzuki...

There is also something I haven't noticed before buying this Electra Glide, Harley Davidson is an international brand that has amazing support everywhere.  There are Harley stores in most population centers.  I was recently in Jerusalem, Israel and was told there was a Harley Davidson dealership there.  I didn't get to go as I was on a tour, but would have LOVED to go and get a Jerusalem logoed Harley Davidson overpriced T-shirt.  Instead, I got a boot-leg T-shirt from a street vendor for $10.  Such a deal.  There were no aforementioned brand logos available for purchase, just Harley Davidson.

Speaking of overpriced Harley Davidson T-shirts, a Harley rider wants to buy one from every place he rides his bike.  I was recently in Denali Park on my Glide when lo, and behold, there is a Harley Davidson apparel shop in Denali Park!  

I checked and did not find one for any of the aforementioned brands.  Not one.  There was no place for a Honda rider to buy an overpriced Honda T-shirt.  This is the kind of wide spread support I am referring to.  Yes, I did buy an overpriced Mt.McKinley Harley Davidson T-shirt, long sleeved by the way.

Hondas are ironclad reliable.  Kawasakis are fast as lighting.  Yamahas are beautiful.  Suzuki's affordable.  Harleys?  Well, lets just say that if you don't get it by now, you probably won't get it ever.  But that's OK.  I'm not trying to convert anybody.  I'm just telling you about my discoveries.

Someday my Electra Glide will belong to someone else just like all my snowmobiles, campers, boats and whatnots have passed along to others.  It is a season sort of thing.  This is my season for the Electra Glide.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be interested to have your comments!