Monday, May 31, 2010

30 Lbs. A milestone

Today is Memorial Day. I do not wish to detract from the significance of its meaning whatsoever. However in my little journey to better health, I have reached a significant milestone for me this morning. I weighed 30 lbs. down from January 1 for the second day in a row this morning. Hitting a low weight once is a triumph, two days in a row doubly so. Especially since the last two pounds I have lost have seemed to have taken as much dedication and patience and discipline as the previous 28 lbs. I have lost. Every once in awhile you hit a barrier that you can't seem to break through, like maybe this effort is lost as I can't seem to lose any more weight. You feel like "what is the use?" and all the "depriving yourself" is in vain and "since I am not losing any more weight" I might as well just give up. Wow, the justifications really pile up quick.

However, as I said some time back in this blog, this is not a temporary deal. This is the way I am going to live for the rest of my life. It still is its own reward, I still feel better than I did before I started, I still remember what it was like to bend over to tie my shoes and be out of breath! I am not going back there!

I was reading this morning that the food police have deemed the "PB & C" milkshake made by Cold Stone Creamery is the same calories count as 68 strips of bacon or 30 chocolate chip cookies. Over 2300 calories if I remember correctly. As I read that, I thought, "you know, I don't even feel tempted to try that." Feeling this much better is so much better than the momentary indulgence the worst beverage in America could provide. Frankly, I think I might enjoy the 68 strips of bacon a little more, definitely the 30 chocolate chip cookies.

So, I won't continue to bore anyone who would take of their free time to read this blog with non-ending obsessing with my weight, but I did want to post my accomplishment of losing 30 lbs. to reinforce my motivation to continue. It's funny, with the 80 degree weather recently I did allow myself to take off my shirt while I worked in the garage. Occasionally passing my a mirror made it obvious that 30 lbs. is not enough...on to 50.

P.S. Does anyone know why "lbs." stands for pounds? Does it have Latin roots or something?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be interested to have your comments!